Posts Tagged ‘Fruit trees’

Sometimes, you just need to be patient…..

I though the Strawberry Guava I bought in August was dead.  I transplanted it to a slightly larger pot within a week of purchase, and watered it in really well with seaweed solution, but the leaves looked a bit dried.

Soon after that, there was a couple of windy days, and all the leaves dropped.  It stayed bare since September… so I thought it was dead.  However, I kept it watered every time I water my other pot plants, so maybe in my heart, I was secretly hoping that it wasn’t completely dead.  I was soooo happy to found there are new leaf buds on the tree today!

It shows that a bit of patiences pays off 🙂

Now, I hope my golden shower tree will do the same….




My baby crabapple tree went to a good home

I’ve decided to cut the air-layer and pot it up after my last post on my crabapple, considering that the tree was dormant, and was probably the best time to make the cut. Plus, I was a little concern about the mother tree due to beetle grubs ate a lot of the roots.

It sat there for a couple of months, and finally both the mother tree, and the new air-layered tree’s leafing out, and even throwing out flowers. The mother tree appears to be in good health, but I don’t see any suitable branches for another layer for a fellow gardener who’s wanted a white flowering crabapple for a while, so I decided to give away my first successful layer.

It’s sad to see my baby tree go, but I’m sure it will be a good home!



My first Feijoa flower

It flowered for the first time after approximately 5 years. Very pretty flower so that I was distracted by its beauty and forgot to taste test the petals…

It was the only bloom on the tree, so that’s a lost opportunity… also, since there’s only one single flower, I doubt there would be any fruit. If it indeed forms a fruit, I would be then sure that this is a self-fertile tree!

There’s a feijoa blog with very good growing information on it Makes me want to buy another tree to ensure I get some fruits!!


Potting session 1

For many plants, the best time for repotting is early spring just before their active growing begins. We’re now in the middle of winter, but because I have missed this window of opportunity to repot for a couple of years, I have a back log of trees to repot.

Especially for my Wisterias, I would like to repot them just before bud swell, so I’m starting to pot early with some of my other trees so that I’m not rushing the whole lot at the same time.
That’s why this is potting session 1. In this session, I potted up my Clementine Mandarin and Valencia orange, moving them from their nursery bags. I got these from Aldi when they were marked down to $10 each. Bargains, considering grafted citrus trees are sold between $20 to $30 dollars nowadays and more if they’re dwarfs. These are just regular grafts, but since they’re cheap, I’m more than happy to experiment growing them in pots. These went into two self-watering pots that are wider on the top, which should be ideal for citrus having their feeder roots on the surface. I got these from Reject shop for $16 each. Because these pots are a little wide on the top for the current roots, I have transplanted a couple of strawberries, and sown some vegetables and flower seeds on the rim to try eliminate problems with overpotting.

I’ve also up potted my Gorgeous crabapple, but have discovered a few curl grubs, and the root system have shrunk compare to when I first bought it a few years back, so the larger pot I’ve moved it into is actually too big for the root system. I’ve sown some lettuces around it too. I hope the tree would survive, I think I should give the top a hard prune as well to balance out the root prune by the grubs…

The goji berries is potted back in the same pot with fresh potting mix. I ran out of potting mix when I first planted the goji berries, and I had mushroom compost on hand at the time, so I used mainly mushroom compost, and it obviously didn’t like it much, hopefully it’ll do better with the repot.

That’s all I had time for on the weekend. I had planned to do the fig as well, but ran out of time, so I’ll do it in the next session. Hopefully soon…

Repot session 1

Airlayering Crabapple follow up

It was October last year when I attempted the airlayer on my crabapple, and in that post I was planning to update in a couple of months.
Well, I did check in a couple of months, but I did not feel that there were any roots forming, so I did not post a follow up.

As time went on, one of the airlayer “bag” fell off, the ziplock bag opened and some of the coir fell out, and the only one left intact was the bubble wrap one so I did not have high hopes for them. I’m planning to repot my crabapple, so I went and removed what’s left of all the airlayer bags, and discovered there were roots in the bubble wrap one!!!

The coir in there was dried, and I’m not sure how long they’ve been dried for, and whether the roots are alive or not. So I wrapped it with clear thick packing plastic this time with fresh potting mix. Hopefully more and stronger roots will form in spring, and then I’ll try to cut this off.

Lessons learnt:-

  • If the airlayer “bag” stay intact, there’s a chance there may be roots.
  • Try not to use bubble wrap for better visibility and ‘feel’
  • Use sticky tape to tape plastic film close around the trunk
  • Do not use sandwich bag ties, they’re too short and difficult to work with
  • Do not use plastic cable ties. The piece of plastic I tried to wrap around the trunk this time round keeps slipping out of the cable tie
  • May need to water the airlayer “bags”

    Remains of the airlayer bags

    Showing dried coir medium


    Wrapping it up again